Attorney Heather L. Nelson has represented hundreds of family law clients in Racine, Kenosha, and Walworth counties. Her due diligence and professionalism have gained her the reputation for being a respected, reasonable, and fierce advocate throughout the legal community.
She listens to her client's individual concerns and explains the law and legal arguments, so they can make an informed decision. Heather challenges clients to question their motives and does not hesitate to keep her clients grounded in reality. This results in practical, cost-effective solutions.
Heather grew up in Southeastern Wisconsin and graduated from the University of Wisconsin – Madison with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Legal Studies and Political Science, along with a Certificate in Criminal Justice in 2009. While attending school, she interned for the Department of Justice, Division of Criminal Investigation, where she was exposed to many high-profile cases and investigations. During her time at UW– Madison, Heather had the opportunity to travel abroad and study business in Nicosia, Cyprus.
In 2012, Heather graduated with her Juris Doctorate degree from William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota. While attending school, she studied international law and criminal justice in London, England. She also worked as a Certified Student Attorney for the Ramsey County Public Defender's office and volunteered at the William Mitchell Self-Help Clinic. In her second year at William Mitchell, she was selected to represent her school in the American Association for Justice Student Trial Advocacy Competition. She also interned for a Kenosha County Circuit Court Judge and gained an invaluable understanding of courtroom procedures and how to present a persuasive argument.
Heather passed the Wisconsin Bar Exam and Multi-State Bar Exam in 2013. Immediately after becoming a member of the State Bar of Wisconsin, she began working as an associate attorney at a family law firm in Kenosha County before becoming a managing partner and shareholder at a family law firm in Racine County. Presently, Heather has started her own family law firm in Racine, Wisconsin, is a Guardian ad Litem for Racine County, and serves on the Village of Mount Pleasant Sex Offender Appeals Board.
Areas of Practice:
Heather provides trusted legal representation in all areas of family law, including:
- Divorce, including high asset and complex financial matters
- Legal Separation
- Custody and Physical Placement
- Removal Actions
- Child Support
- Post-Judgment Matters
- Guardian ad Litem for Racine County
Licensed to Practice:
- State of Wisconsin, 2013
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Racine County Bar Association, Member
- Village of Mount Pleasant Sex Offender Appeals Board, Member
- William Mitchell College of Law
- Juris Doctorate, 2010 - 2013
- BPP University Law School
- London, England, 2011
- University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Bachelor of Arts, 2006 - 2009
- Intercollege - University of Nicosia
- Nicosia, Cyprus, 2007
- "Street Law" Instructor for Youth, 2012
Honors and Awards:
- Avvo Client's Choice Award, 2018
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys
- 2017 Nationally Ranked Top 10 Under 40 Award for Excellence - Family Law
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 10 Best Attorneys Award
- 10 Best Female Attorney - Wisconsin, 2017
- 10 Best Attorney - Wisconsin for Exceptional Client Service, 2017
- Participated in the American Association for Justice, Student Trial Advocacy Competition, 2012
Pro Bono Activities:
- Law Intern for Kenosha County Circuit Court Judge, 2012
- Minnesota Justice Foundation, William Mitchell Self-Help Clinic, 2010 - 2011
- Department of Justice, Division of Criminal Investigation, Special Assignments Bureau Intern, 2008